Marine Weather and Tides
1/26/2021 -- The West Coast Satellite images havd been updated. They now use GEOS-17.
1/1/2021 -- The 7 day forecast are now working well. Thank you NOAA for your support.
|Sunrise 6:28AM||Sunset 5:54PM||Tuesday March 2, 2021 5:31 PM PST (01:31 UTC)||Moonrise 11:08PM||Moonset 9:40AM||Illumination 81%|
7 Day Forecast for Marine Location Near Reno, NVHourly EDIT Help
Area Discussion for - Reno, NV  (on/off)  Help NOTE: mouseover dotted underlined text for definition
FXUS65 KREV 022214 AFDREV
Area Forecast Discussion National Weather Service Reno NV 214 PM PST Tue Mar 2 2021
Slightly above average high temperatures will rise to well above average for Thursday and Friday. It will be dry except for light snow showers Wednesday afternoon and evening in Mono County. Winds increase late week followed by cooler temperatures and chances for rain and snow for the weekend and into early next week.
Extensive high clouds continue to wash over eastern CA and western NV this afternoon well ahead of low pressure centered well off the southern CA coast. The clouds in combination with less flow aloft (to encourage mixing/warming) has brought slight cooling for many areas along and south of Hwy 50, although mountain slopes and ridges as well as areas north of Hwy 50 are showing a bit of warming over yesterday. In any case, temperatures are rather seasonable with 40s for Sierra valleys and 50s for lower valleys.
The aforementioned low will track inland over far southern CA-NV tomorrow afternoon and tomorrow night. Much of the model/ensemble guidance remains consistent in generating snow showers near the Sierra Crest over Mono County, possibly extending into southern Alpine County, Wednesday afternoon-early evening. Blended probabilities for measurable snow in the high eastern Sierra remain medium at 40-60% with a ~25% chance for up to a couple inches. For Hwy 395, probabilities for measurable snow remain low at less than 25%. In addition, given the notable increase in daytime road heating (which would make any snow melt quickly on roads) this time of year, very light snowfall rates, and the fact that trans Sierra passes remain closed, little or no impact is expected for travel in Mono County Wednesday . especially along and east of Highway 395. The only caveat along Hwy 395 is well after dark Wednesday when any roads that remain wet could see slick patches as temperatures fall below freezing.
A ridge axis rebuilds over eastern CA and Nevada Thursday. A moderate south to southwest flow returns to the Sierra with some breezes mixing into the valleys Thursday afternoon with some warming into the lower 60s. -Snyder
LONG TERM. Friday onward .
* Friday promises to be another mild day with daytime temps about a month ahead of normal. With gusty south/southwest winds and if clouds hold off long enough, we could see max temps get into the 90th percentile of NBM guidance ranges. That would yield upper 60s RNO, mid 70s NFL, and mid/upper 50s for mountain communities from Tahoe to Mammoth Lakes.
* Saturday's storm is still on track with a quick-moving negative tilt wave coming off the eastern Pacific. No major changes here with ongoing forecast. Good bet for mountain snow accumulations and travel impacts but the speed of the storm will limit amounts to a few inches at pass elevations with an inch or two for mountain communities. Pretty shadowed setup so I am anticipating just light rain showers for W Nevada coupled with breezy SW winds.
* Next week is really starting to look more interesting with broad cold upper trough settling in over the region. Latest NBM and ensemble guidance brings periods of snow to both mountains and valleys with colder than normal temps. Best odds look to be Monday evening through Thursday. Could rack up decent snow accumulations in the Sierra but water content won't be overly impressive with minimal IVT signals. Non-trivial odds in NBM of seeing at least a few inches of snow in the W Nevada cities as well but that may be driven more by diurnal instability and remain scattered. Looks like next week will feel more like that "winter in March" that we all know and love.
* Upper low swinging through SoCal will send mid and high clouds our way through tomorrow. Most areas won't see any significant weather and winds will generally be light.
* The one exception is over the E Sierra, near MMH, where NAM and HRRR high resolution guidance is showing decent instability Wednesday afternoon. This should result in scattered snow and pellet showers from Bridgeport southward. Most of the activity will be along the crest with mountain obscuration; however, we're looking at about a 40% chance of seeing MVFR-IFR snow showers at MMH between 22z/Wed and 4z/Thurs. Accumulation potential appears minimal with NBM guidance indicating about a 10-20% chance of up to 1" if a heavier shower occurs over the airfield.
REV Watches/Warnings/Advisories. NV . None. CA . None.
For more information from the National Weather Service visit . http://weather.gov/reno
Weather Reporting StationsEDIT (on/off)  Help NOTE: Click on distance to see the station location on a map
Airport ReportsEDIT (on/off)  Help Click EDIT to display multiple airports. Follow links for more data.
|Reno, Reno Tahoe International Airport, NV||3 mi||36 min||E 9||10.00 mi||Overcast||55°F||5°F||13%||1011.9 hPa|
|Reno/Stead, NV||15 mi||36 min||ESE 9||10.00 mi||Fair||54°F||1°F||12%||1013.5 hPa|
|Carson City Airport, NV||19 mi||56 min||ENE 13||10.00 mi||Fair||54°F||3°F||13%||1013.2 hPa|
|Truckee-Tahoe, CA||22 mi||46 min||W 5||10.00 mi||Clear||48°F||12°F||23%||1013.5 hPa|
Link to 5 minute data for KRNO
Wind History from RNO (wind in knots)
|1 day ago||E||E||E||E||SW||W||W||Calm||Calm||W||Calm||Calm||Calm||Calm||Calm||W||Calm||Calm||Calm||N||S|
|2 days ago||N||NE||S||SW||S||Calm||Calm||SE||Calm||E||E||Calm||W||W||Calm||Calm||Calm||SW||Calm||E||E||E |
EDIT Weekend mode (on/off) (on/off)  Help
EDIT (on/off)  Help
Weather Map(on/off)  Help Weather Map
GEOS Local Image of CentralWestCoast EDIT
NOTE: This section has been updated as of 1/26/2021. If the image you are expecting is not showing, please let me know. You may use the EDIT function to update your location.
Link to Loop
Other links: GEOS-West Contential US Full GOES-East
Please read website Cookie, Privacy, and Disclamers by clicking HERE.