Tuesday, May26, 2020
Privacy Policy

Papoose Cockpit Repair 2009

The background for this repair is that there was a lot of paint on Papoose. I made the decision a couple of years ago to remove it all when an area needs paint if that had not been previously done. In the case of the cockpit area, most but not all the surfaces had 55 years of paint on them. I used a heat gun as chemical strippers just did nothing on that much paint. I actually took a micrometer to the paint I scrapped off and measured 0.020, or almost the gap of a spark plug. That is a lot of paint. The other advantage was that I uncovered a lot of dry rot and was able to treat that with penetrating epoxy. One could argue that I should have just replaced the entire cockpit area but my goal is to put that off and hopefully the cockpit will outlive me.

Here is the cockpit after scrapping and sanding.

Looking forward

One of the worst areas and a complete surprise until I removed the paint was this area

Here it is filled

Another area, there were several

And filled

All the dents on the cabin sole were filled

It rained so I did a lot of the priming under a tarp


And the finished priduct


Ad by Google

Cookie Policy:
This website uses cookies to save your settings. No personal information is saved. I do not collect statistics on your visit. You can disable cookies in your browser if you like but it is not recommended for this site. I do not sell cookies. Go to a bakery for that. In fact I do not sell anything. To disable cookies from L-36.com, please refer to the Help button in your browser.
Privacy Policy:
I do not sell or share any user data or anything else for that matter. The only personal information I save is in the site log which has a line for each page view which includes the IP address your browser sends in the header as well as which page you requested. I use this to block hackers and other bad actors. I do not use this raw data to create profiles on users. I periodically delete the log files. If you are subject to CCPA, Google ads on this site will not be based on your past behavior so you will likely not see an ad for a lawn mower just because you looked for one at a big box website. I do not believe this site is subject to CCPA but I am doing what I can to follow the guidelines anyway.
The information on this web site has not been checked for accuracy. It is for entertainment purposes only and should be independently verified before using for any other reason. There are five sources. 1) Documents and manuals from a variety of sources. These have not been checked for accuracy and in many cases have not even been read by anyone associated with L-36.com. I have no idea of they are useful or accurate, I leave that to the reader. 2) Articles others have written and submitted. If you have questions on these, please contact the author. 3) Articles that represent my personal opinions. These are intended to promote thought and for entertainment. These are not intended to be fact, they are my opinions. 4) Small programs that generate result presented on a web page. Like any computer program, these may and in some cases do have errors. Almost all of these also make simplifying assumptions so they are not totally accurate even if there are no errors. Please verify all results. 5) Weather information is from numerous of sources and is presented automatically. It is not checked for accuracy either by anyone at L-36.com or by the source which is typically the US Government. See the NOAA web site for their disclaimer. Finally, tide and current data on this site is from 2007 and 2008 data bases, which may contain even older data. Changes in harbors due to building or dredging change tides and currents and for that reason many of the locations presented are no longer supported by newer data bases. For example, there is very little tidal current data in newer data bases so current data is likely wrong to some extent. This data is NOT FOR NAVIGATION. See the XTide disclaimer for details. In addition, tide and current are influenced by storms, river flow, and other factors beyond the ability of any predictive program.