Marine Sources and Links
- General Marine Stores
- Winch Parts
- Engine Parts
- Non Marine Specific Stores
- Surplus Stores
- Lumber and Plywood
- Bronze Stuff
This page contains links of stores and vendors that have been successfully used by either myself or represent personal recomendations from others. This is not a list of random links as you might find on some sites. Also, while there is advertising on this site, the links below are not paid listings.
General Marine Stores
- Hodges Marine specializes in marine Electronics. When my TackTick wind sender failed, they had the parts in stock at a good price and got them to me quickly. I highly recommend them. They are my latest addition to this list.
- Citimarine Store This guy sent me an email desctibing his store. Looks just like what he said: "While we sell smaller items like electronics & accessories, like West Marine or Defender, we also sell also sell larger equipment that is harder to find, such as A/C systems, generators, and commercial battery chargers. Due to our great relationships with top manufacturers in these areas, we are able to offer them at lower prices than most other places." Let me know what you think.
- Defender.com Online marine store, cheaper than West Marine, and good selection and service. (example: 1/2 in. Yacht Braid is .76 vs. 1.17)
- Jamestown Distributors: Marine Supplies, especially wooden boat stuff. This is where I get my bronze fasteners.
- Hamilton Marine Maine's Discount Marine Store. Highly recommended by Chairman Bob. Has a great selection of stuff hard to find other places. Web interface a little difficult. Typical Chandlery type operation plus a lot of things used in that part of the country, Lobster, layup, cold etc. Very good prices on Epifanes Products, Wood Finish Gloss, Varnish, thinner, and believe it! stocking Epifanes topside Monourathane in ALL colors. Good Pricing, Reasonable shipping, one gallon total for Hasmat reasons, per box. No sales tax and very knowledgeable staff. Plan ahead.800 639 2715, Ask for Pat. Check website for EMail
- LFS Marine: (Now go2marine.com) Marine store in Bellingham WA. I think the expression is that you would kill for a store like this locally. This store does a huge amount of business in Samson line and has very good pricing. Aparently, the Alaskan fishermen come down to buy their equipment here. I just ordered some Sikaflex from them for $7.25 that is $20.99 at West Marine. It came quickly and the 7 pound shipment was $14 in shipping.
- West Marine is handy and local. There prices range from OK to 50% higher than some of the above stores. They will price match if you show them a printout from another store.
- Barient Winch Parts Barient and Barlow Winch Parts. Send an email then follow up with a phone call to Bruno at 011 +61 2 9623 2448.
- Winch grease Used by Andersen Winches. A great grease for marine use.
- Rigging Only (new site) I just bought my new lifelines from here. Great service. Here is what they say aobut themselves: Rigging Only is dedicated to providing quality sailboat hardware and sailboat rigging at affordable prices to sailors through out the world. Providing technical expertise on selection and installation as well as the best prices from all major hardware manufactures is our goal.
- Seal's Spars and Rigging Seal's Spars & Rigging specializes in OEM and specialty parts and spars for 20' to 30' "Plastic Classics".
- Van Ness Engineering Specializes in vintage engines to go with our vintage boats. Gray Marine and Atomic 4. Complete engines, short blocks, parts, water pump, carburetor, rebuilt engines. I have found Dave Van Ness a great source of advice and parts. He saved me big time on more than one occasion. 1-201-445-8685
- Depco Pump Rebuilt water pumps. They do a good job and stand behind their work.
- Garhauer Marine Sailboat hardware much cheaper than Harken. Really good stuff. OEM for Catalina boats.
- Marine Wire and Terminals Very high qualiyt, low prices, and free shipping. What is not to like? Plus, they will build up custom battery cables for $2 labor ($1 per end).
Non Marine Specific Stores
- *NEW* Fair Wind Fasteners specializing in marine grade fasteners, specifically silicon bronze. Coming soon a HUGE line of 316 stainless as well.
- Grainger has stores all all over and a mail order web site. I found what I was looking for here (5/16 bolt 8 inches long in ss) with the help of the after hours phone representative. She was very helpful. They shipped the parts to my door for less that what the gas to go the few miles to the closest store would have cost me.
- McMaster Parts My daughter (the engineer) swears by this place for stainless fasteners, and lots of other general hardware. Not specifically marine
- Olander Company Located in Sunnyvale, The Olander Company Inc. is a full line distributor of Standard and Metric Fasteners and Electromechanical Components (such as screws, pins, inserts and rivets) Good for hard to find stainless steel fasteners.
- Bolt Depot Good selection at reasonable prices and no minimums. Great service. Highly recommended.
- Sailrite is where I bought the thread that really works on Sumbrella in a home sewing machine. V-69 thread and #18 needles.
- Rochford Supply Company Coast Guard cover material, off the same loom as Sunbrella but not priced to pay for Sunbrella hype. Fast and reasonable. I personally have not used these folks but rather it was recommended by someone who has.
- Blue Pelican Marine Nautical Consignments 510-769-4858, 2021 Alaska Packer Park Pl #6, Grand Marina, Alameda, CA 94501. Jerry and I went there looking for some blocks for Mystic Puffin and found many wonderful things at extremely reasonable prices, and they threw in two sail bags for free. The place is small, but if you don't see it, ask- they have a huge attic full of stuff.
- Minney's Newport Beach, Yacht Surplus. Everything good and old, Props, anchors, sails, winches, leftovers from local yards overstock or defunct, BIG place, not consignment. To visit is an experience not to be missed. Priced right and negotiable, very helpful 1 949 548 4192 Ernie Money, semi old time wood schooner sailor and owner, SAMARANG, sailor.and CMA Deckape Grad,.firstname.lastname@example.org.
- Kelly Marine 22nd and Mesa Streets, San Pedro, similar to Minneys, but on a smaller scale, consignment basis, Jib Kelly and some others, also do general boat rigging and refurbish sweet Cal 20s for a new local racing class, on premises. 310 548 5348 email@example.com
Lumber and Plywood
- Public Lumber Where I bought my teak and holly plywood. (site has problems with Firefox)
- Mac Beath Hardwoos 6 locations with a great selection and pricing. All hardwood and exotics. Mahogany and Teak shorts (4-6 ft) are a good deal. You basically need to buy the entire board as they double the price for cutting so be prepared to get 12 feet if one of the shorts won't do.
- Buck Woodcraft Also from Charlie: "Buck Woodcraft in Fla. They have a lot of moldings rails, and other finished teak products. Have not yet installed what I bought, but it looks like OK stuff sitting in my living room. Some of the molding items are AFI from Marinco."
- Port Townsend Foundry This place has some marine bronze castings and looks to be able to do custom stuff. I got the link from Chairman Bob, but have not used them myself.
- Spartan Marine Site says they offer Quality Bronze Marine Hardware. Nice catalog and lots of stuff.
- Bronze Rod Atlas Metal 12 feet 1/2inch Silicon Bronze $94
- R. J. Leahey Company 1/2 inch Silicon Bronze $16.90/# or ~$6/ft. Quoted 7 feet at $84. In San Francisco. Also carries screws and other fasteners.
- Sequoia Brass and Copper in Hayward. Quoted 7 feet 1/2 inch Si Bronze at $88. Would cut to lenght as long as lenght not too close to 12 feet so they would end up with a short piece.
- Hutchinson Marine Services Steve did an excellent job on Papoose. He is the only one who identified the root cause of what led to many people working on the boat over the years. I recommend him highly. His rates are more than reasonable and his workmanship it of the highest quality I have personally seen.
Please read website Cookie, Privacy, and Disclamers by clicking HERE.