Tuesday, May11, 2021
Privacy Policy
L-36.com

Marine Weather and Tides
Portola, CA

Version 3.4
NOTICE
1/26/2021 -- The West Coast Satellite images havd been updated. They now use GEOS-17.
1/1/2021 -- The 7 day forecast are now working well. Thank you NOAA for your support.

Sunrise 5:48AMSunset 8:05PM Tuesday May 11, 2021 2:46 AM PDT (09:46 UTC) Moonrise 4:57AMMoonset 7:16PM Illumination 0% Phase: New Moon; Moon at 29 days in cycle
NOTE: Some of the data on this page has not been verified and should be used with that in mind. It may and occasionally will, be wrong. The tide reports are by xtide and are NOT FOR NAVIGATION.
Marine Forecasts
    EDIT      (on/off)   Help


7 Day Forecast for Marine Location Near Portola, CA
   Hourly   EDIT   Help
location: 39.82, -120.47     debug


Area Discussion for - Reno, NV
      (on/off)   Help   NOTE: mouseover dotted underlined text for definition
FXUS65 KREV 102012 AFDREV

Area Forecast Discussion National Weather Service Reno NV 112 PM PDT Mon May 10 2021

SYNOPSIS.

Temperatures will warm to well above normal through Friday as high pressure overspreads the Great Basin. Unusually dry air will allow for good cooling at night. Pacific low pressure could bring breezy winds, cooler temperatures, and a chance of showers this coming weekend.

DISCUSSION.

* No meaningful changes to the temperature outlook through Friday with well above normal temperatures expected starting tomorrow. Most existing record highs look somewhat safe, however a few mountain communities could come close on Thursday with temps into the mid or upper 70s. While not a major heatwave even by early season standards, Heat Risk analysis indicates there is some heat health risk to vulnerable populations or those outdoors in the full sunshine for prolonged periods of time. * With the heating, buildups are likely over the Sierra Wednesday and Thursday afternoons. While unlikely, we can't entirely rule out a stray shower with a probability under 10% from Tahoe to Mammoth.

* The most notable forecast elements are in the Friday through weekend period where guidance has trended more toward a pronounced upper trough diving into the region. ECMWF EPS and NBM guidance has increased on wind potential for Friday, which coupled with atrociously low humidities could become a legit fire weather concern. Widespread gusts 30-40 mph are looking more likely with minimum humidity below 10%. Breezy winds continue into Saturday but more of a W/NW direction and not as strong as upper trough slides into the Four Corners region.

* Chances for showers Saturday have also trended up just ahead of the upper trough, albeit slightly and with confidence remaining mixed. Instability showing up in the NBM so with this in mind, we're looking at about 10-20% chance of showers and t-storms Saturday afternoon-evening - something to keep in mind for weekend outdoor activities. Precipitation amounts from most EPS members are fairly low, from zero to 0.1", but there are a few members that produce upwards of 0.25 to 0.5". Sunday trending drier, though if that trough slows we could see a few diurnal showers underneath the cold pool Sunday afternoon.

* The outlook for next week is amazingly variable with very large temperature spreads in the EPS and NBM guidance. Some simulations bring in another larger and colder trough over the Great Basin next week wile others keep things less amplified and warmer. Chances for showers remain but super low confidence pattern.

-Chris

AVIATION.

VFR with dry conditions through Friday. N-NE flow continues today into Tuesday, though peak speeds will generally be under 10-15 kts at the surface. Our big "winner" will be KCXP, which responds well to the NE flow, and even here peak gusts this afternoon should remain around 15-18 kts. At FL100, speeds are a bit stronger -- sustained 25-35 kts, however these will be weakening into the evening and overnight. Through the evening, it'll be bumpy across the Sierra and into the western slopes.

Winds will turn back to the west Wednesday into Thursday with typical afternoon speeds, gusts 20-25 kts. Stronger winds are anticipated on Friday, which may bring turbulence, shear, and some mountain wave activity.

One other consideration this week will be density altitude adjustments. While we aren't in the heat of summer yet, high temps will be running a solid 10-15 degrees above normal Wednesday- Friday, which could have impacts on weight limits for smaller aircrafts mid-afternoon. There may be a few afternoon cumulus buildups over the higher terrain Wednesday and Thursday with warm temps, however, chances are only around 10% for a shower/t-storm to form. -Dawn

FIRE WEATHER.

*Hot and dry this week with strong winds possible Friday*

Relatively quiet the next several days, but the heat is on and it will be abysmally dry. After a fairly typical day today, we'll see warming conditions through the week with highs reaching a solid 10-15 degrees above normal. Some places, especially in the mountains, may be nearing record highs Wednesday and Thursday. This along with minimum RH values in the single digits for lower valleys, and teens to ~25% in the mountains, will further parch already dry fuels. To top it off, overnight recoveries won't be great either with many lower elevations in western Nevada only recovering in the 30-40% range. At least the mountains will fare better with recoveries.

It'll be a bit breezy today for areas that favor NE winds, with lighter winds Tuesday. More typical westerly afternoon breezes return for Wed-Thurs. The main concern is for Friday as WSW winds increase in response to an approaching trough. We certainly have the potential for wind gusts to reach 35-40 mph along the Sierra Front and min RH values will still be in the single digits. Green up has been weak given the drought, and the heat and dry conditions leading up to the winds are certainly a concern. Winds look to remain elevated Saturday, and may actually be stronger for portions of the Lahontan and Humboldt Basins. Humidity values will be a bit higher, but still not looking particularly wet (10-20% lower valleys). There is a chance for a few showers, but chances for wetting rains per EPS/GEFS guidance is 10-15% and will be spotty. -Dawn

REV Watches/Warnings/Advisories. NV . None. CA . None.

For more information from the National Weather Service visit . http://weather.gov/reno


Weather Reporting Stations
   EDIT       (on/off)   Help   NOTE: Click on distance to see the station location on a map

Airport Reports
    EDIT      (on/off)   Help   Click EDIT to display multiple airports. Follow links for more data.
AirportDistAgeWind ktVisibilitySky/WeatherTempDewPtHumidityPressure
Reno/Stead, NV33 mi2.4 hrsN 310.00 miFair37°F7°F28%1021 hPa

Link to 5 minute data for KRTS

Wind History from RTS (wind in knots)
1
AM
2
AM
3
AM
4
AM
5
AM
6
AM
7
AM
8
AM
9
AM
10
AM
11
AM
12
PM
1
PM
2
PM
3
PM
4
PM
5
PM
6
PM
7
PM
8
PM
9
PM
10
PM
11
PM
-12
PM
Last 24hrCalmCalmN5CalmCalmN4Calm3566
G11
E6
G12
7
G14
E9
G16
5
G15
E9NE10NE14NE11NE6SW5CalmN5N3
1 day agoN8CalmW6NW3NW4NW6CalmCalmNE463
G11
SE636
G14
4
G14
NE9
G18
NE15
G21
E9
G23
NE7
G13
NE6CalmNE8N4Calm
2 days agoNW85
G10
NW6NW7NW4W3Calm4SE8366
G13
NE10E12NE6
G14
SE6
G12
E8
G13
NE6NE8NE7CalmCalmNW5W7

Tide / Current Tables for
   EDIT   Weekend mode (on/off)   (on/off)   Help
Tide / Current Tables for
   EDIT      (on/off)   Help
Weather Map
       (on/off)   Help Weather Map
wmap_P
GEOS Local Image of CentralWestCoast    EDIT
NOTE: This section has been updated as of 1/26/2021. If the image you are expecting is not showing, please let me know. You may use the EDIT function to update your location.
Link to Loop

Other links: GEOS-West     Contential US     Full GOES-East
Ground Weather Radar Station




Please read website Cookie, Privacy, and Disclamers by clicking HERE.