Two Harbors, MN Marine Weather and Tide Forecast
L-36.com

Marine Weather and Tide Forecast for Two Harbors, MN

April 21, 2024 5:45 AM CDT (10:45 UTC) Change Location
Sunrise 6:06 AM   Sunset 8:07 PM
Moonrise 4:57 PM   Moonset 4:19 AM 
  Print   HELP   Reset   Save   Recall

NOTE: Some of the data on this page has not been verified and should be used with that in mind. It may and occasionally will, be wrong. The tide reports are by xtide and are NOT FOR NAVIGATION.

Top   Marine   7-Day   NWS   Buoy   Airport   Tide   Map   GEOS   Radar  


Marine Forecasts
    EDIT      Help
LSZ144 /o.can.kdlh.ma.w.0031.000000t0000z-231005t2000z/ 229 Pm Cdt Thu Oct 5 2023

.the special marine warning is cancelled - .
the affected areas were - . Two harbors to duluth mn - .
the Thunderstorm has moved out of the warned area and no longer poses a significant threat to boaters.
lat - .lon 4691 9165 4705 9109 4694 9096 4691 9096 4684 9110 4682 9118 4683 9121 4682 9127 4674 9158 time - .mot - .loc 1929z 256deg 36kt 4684 9149

LSZ100
No data


7 Day Forecast for Marine Location Near Two Harbors, MN
   Hourly   EDIT   Help   Map
NEW! Add second zone forecast


Area Discussion for - Duluth, MN
      (hide/show)   Help   
NOTE: mouseover dotted underlined text for definition
FXUS63 KDLH 210827 AFDDLH

Area Forecast Discussion National Weather Service Duluth MN 327 AM CDT Sun Apr 21 2024

KEY MESSAGES

- Near-critical fire weather concerns today due to low minimum relative humidity and breezy northwest winds.

- A clipper system will bring light rain Monday PM through Tuesday. Some light snow could mix in late Monday night into Tuesday, possibly even an embedded thunderstorm or two, as well.

- Additional precipitation chances late next week into next weekend.

DISCUSSION
Issued at 327 AM CDT Sun Apr 21 2024

Today:

Shortwave ridging moves through the Upper Midwest today with clear skies early this morning giving way to some scattered diurnal cumulus and some mid/high-level clouds for most of the Northland northeast of a Grand Rapids to Moose Lake line. Areas southwest of that line should remain sunny. Deeper atmospheric mixing today to around 6000-7000 ft will result in another day of breezy northwest surface winds to around 20 mph from mid morning through this afternoon. Expect minimum afternoon RH values to dip into the 20-25% range for much of central/north- central MN into the Iron Range and extending southward into the Pine Barrens of NW WI. This combination of low RH and breezy winds will result in near-critical fire weather conditions for this afternoon into early evening. High temperatures will also be much warmer today, ranging from the upper 40s/low 50s in the tip of the MN Arrowhead where cloud cover will be highest to mid 50s to around 60 degrees elsewhere. Winds weaken and become light this evening and tonight.

Monday - Tuesday:

An upper-level trough currently located over the British Columbia will close off and track east into southern Saskatchewan by 12Z Monday and then open up into a trough again as it dives southeast through the Northland from Monday night through Tuesday. There is some drier low-level air that the precipitation will initially have to fight through Monday morning, but expect precipitation to start in the form of rain Monday afternoon with precipitation continuing through Tuesday before ending by Tuesday evening. Strong southerly winds on Monday will push high temperatures into the low to mid 60s, with 50s near Lake Superior. Some colder air aloft and at the surface wrap in on the backside of this system, which should result in a light rain/snow mix late Monday night into Tuesday. This mix should primarily be north of Highway 2 in MN, but could be seen for most of NW WI on Tuesday afternoon. There also may even be enough instability (MUCAPE ~100-400 J/kg) to produce a few embedded non-severe thunderstorms Monday night and again late Tuesday morning into Tuesday afternoon in east-central MN into NW WI. Expect cooler high temperatures on Tuesday as breezy winds shift to out of the north, with highs ranging from the low/mid-40s near the International Border to low/mid-50s in east-central MN and NW WI. Clearing skies and a colder airmass Tuesday night should push low temperatures down into the 20s.

Snow accumulations would be a wetter dusting at best on grassy or elevated surfaces. Meanwhile, liquid precipitation amounts have trended lower, with a tenth of an inch or less for central/north-central MN and a tenth to one-quarter inch for NE MN and NW WI.

Wednesday:

Upper-level ridging and surface high pressure moves through the region Wednesday and Wednesday night, leading to quiet weather, mostly sunny skies, and high temperatures in the 50s for most (40s in the MN Arrowhead and near Lake Superior). This will be another day with low RH values in the 20-25% range in spots, so this will need to be watched for additional near-critical fire weather potential. Right now southerly winds look lighter for Wednesday afternoon, with gusts generally to 15 mph or less.

Thursday - Next Weekend:

An upper low over southern California on Wednesday will move through the southwestern States through Thursday night before ejecting northeast into the central Plains on Friday and into the Northland vicinity as a negatively tilted trough on Friday night into Saturday. Ensemble clustering of the low track in the Northland vicinity is actually in fairly good agreement for being 6-7 days out, with forecast surface low centers at 12Z Saturday ranging from the far eastern Dakotas to as far east as western Wisconsin, though the large majority are in MN at that time. This system will bring our next chance at more widespread precipitation potential. As of now, it appears that most of Thursday will remain dry with highs in the upper 50s to low 60s.
A similar pattern of highs in the mid-50s to low 60s on a daily basis for Friday into the weekend are also possible depending on the exact track of the low. Precipitation chances peak on Friday/Friday night before diminishing late Saturday.
Ensembles/deterministic global models point to air being warm enough aloft for all of the precipitation with this system to be in the form of rain aside from a stray 3 to 5 out of 100 ensemble members across the CMC/GEFS/EPS ensembles mixing in some very light snow Friday night. Still a bit too soon to discuss exact rainfall amounts, but NBM 72-hr probabilities (7 AM Thursday - 7 AM Sunday) are as follows and likely to change: >0.5": 40-60% chance SE of a Brainerd-Twin Ports-North Shore line, with 20-40% NW of this line.

>1.0": 10-30% and 0-10% for the same respective areas.

>1.5": less than 10-15% everywhere.

Models then diverge more significantly as to whether or not another trough/low moves into our region for Sunday into early next week, which would bring additional precipitation chances if it does so.



AVIATION /06Z TAFS THROUGH 06Z MONDAY/
Issued at 1240 AM CDT Sun Apr 21 2024

VFR conditions persist throughout the TAF period. Some development of scattered diurnal cumulus with bases around 6000-7000 ft develop from late morning through the afternoon for most of NE MN and all of NW WI terminals. BRD should remain far enough southwest that cumulus doesn't develop. Calm to light winds overnight pick up again mid to late morning, with northwest wind gusts up to 20 knots at DLH/HIB/HYR, but slightly weaker for INL/BRD. Winds weaken again this evening.

MARINE /FOR NEAR SHORE WATERS OF WESTERN LAKE SUPERIOR/
Issued at 327 AM CDT Sun Apr 21 2024

Today will be fairly quiet on the Lake as warmer air results in more stable lake conditions and southwest wind gusts remaining under 20 knots. Winds turn light this evening and most of tonight at less than 10 knots before picking up a bit more on Monday into Monday night. Small Craft Advisories may be needed again at the head of the Lake and along portions of the South Shore Monday afternoon for southwest winds gusts around 20-25 knots, though these winds have been trending downwards prior to previous forecasts. Stronger winds arrive for much of western Lake Superior on Tuesday as winds shift to northeasterly on the backside of a low pressure system moving through. Some gusts up to 25 to 30 knots and waves building to 4-7 feet cannot be ruled out.

For the open water discussion, refer to the NWS Marquette Area Forecast Discussion at weather.gov/mqt.

DLH WATCHES/WARNINGS/ADVISORIES
MN...None.
WI...None.
MARINE...None.




Weather Reporting Stations
   EDIT       (hide/show)   Help
Stations Dist Age Wind Air TempWater Temp WavesinHgDewPt
PNGW3 - Port Wing, WI 22 mi66 min SSW 6G8 35°F 30.07
SLVM5 - Silver Bay, MN 27 mi66 min NW 9.9G16 36°F 30.04
DULM5 - 9099064 - Duluth, MN 28 mi46 min W 13G17 39°F 45°F30.0424°F
PKBW3 35 mi106 min SSW 4.1 29°F 30.0923°F


Wind History for Duluth, MN
(wind in knots)    EDIT      (hide/show)   Help
toggle option: (graph/table)



Airport Reports
    EDIT      (hide/show)   Help   Click EDIT to display multiple airports. Follow links for more data.
AirportDistAgeWind ktVisSkyWeatherTempDewPtRHinHg
KTWM RICHARD B HELGESON,MN 4 sm10 minWNW 0510 smClear32°F25°F74%30.04
Link to 5 minute data for KTWM


Wind History from TWM
(wind in knots)
toggle option: (graph/table)



Tide / Current for
   EDIT      (hide/show)   Help


Weather Map
       (hide/show)   Help


GEOS Local Image of Upper Mississippi Valley   
EDIT



Duluth, MN,



NOTICE: Some pages have affiliate links to Amazon. As an Amazon Associate, I earn from qualifying purchases. Please read website Cookie, Privacy, and Disclamers by clicking HERE. To contact me click HERE. For my YouTube page click HERE